Friday, April 13, 2012

Healthy Frittata and Little Victories

I am totally celebrating getting 3 followers this week! Little victories people. I relish in them. 

To my first readers, THANK YOU! You seriously made my week (really...I did a happy dance). If you only knew how terrified I was to actually start writing this thing. I love to write...it's just always been in a journal that no one reads. The fear of sounding like a completely uninteresting dork paralyzed me from starting for quite some time. So, the encouragement of 3 fabulous followers is just what I need as I start this journey. Please feel free to email me and pass along your blog wisdom. 

And now...the frittata. Delicious, healthy, filling, and simple to boot. You'll be making these every weekend once you see how easy it is AND that you can freeze these babies in individual slices then re-heat them for a quick breakfast during the week. I have my morning routine down to a science, so the quicker the breakfast, the better. But I also try to eat healthily and get some protein in the morning. Well, this frittata does the trick.
Sorry. This is the only picture you're getting because I'm new to blogging and realized AFTER the fact that I should have photographed this in steps like the pros do. Lesson learned.


Healthy Breakfast Frittata


Thanks to my mom, who introduced me to this frittata, I make these on a weekly basis. For a single serving meal you can re-heat quickly, just slice the end product into the desired size, individually wrap, and freeze. When you’re ready to eat, remove wrapping and heat for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!

Ingredients
12  Eggs, beaten (1 dozen eggs will serve 6-8 people depending on how big you want your
      slices.)
¼  Cup milk (I use 2%, but you can use whatever you’d like. You need this to add volume)
2   Cups raw spinach
½  Cup shredded cheese (use whatever kind you like. I used cheddar)
1   Small tomato, sliced            
     Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1.     Pre-heat oven to 350°F
2.     Spray your skillet (make sure its oven safe! No melted handles please!) with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat.
3.     Add spinach and cover. Cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towel to cool. (Hot spinach may cook your eggs)
4.     Let your pan cool slightly (again, so we don’t cook the eggs before it’s time)
5.     Meanwhile, add eggs and milk to a bowl and whisk for about a minute. It’s alllll in the wrist.
6.     Combine egg mixture with cooled spinach, cheese, salt and pepper. Gently mix.
7.     Re-spray pan, if necessary, and pour contents of bowl in. Make sure ingredients have evenly distributed throughout.
8.     Place sliced tomato on top in whatever design your little heart desires.
9.     Bake for about 20 minutes, until lightly brown on top and the edges have started to pull away from the sides on your pan.
10.   Slice, add hot sauce and enjoy!  


Now, this is just a base recipe. Get creative! Throw in bacon, chopped ham, black beans, top it with avocado...that's the beauty of this breakfast. You can change it up every time you make it. Hope you like it as much as I do! 

3 comments:

  1. I still get pumped up when I see that I have a new follower...it's exciting!
    It's lunch time here but I'm seriously thinking about making a frittata, if I do I'll create a post and link it to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had my first fritatta only a few years ago! i'll have to try this one. trying to eat healthier and less bread so this would be a good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! I'm also trying to stay away from processed carbs, which coming from a girl who loves bread and all things sweet, is NOT easy. I keep reminding myself that summer is coming and I have a bikini to squeeze into. You'll have to share how to manage eating healthy while you're in Spain. I'd love to hear about it!

      Delete